Industry Links

RVIA Economic Impact Study

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association commissioned an Economic Impact Study on the RV industry, released on June 7, 2016. The study found that the RV industry contributes about $49.7 billion in economic output or 0.28 percent of the Gross Domestic Product. Through its production and distribution linkages, the industry impacts firms in 426 of the 440 sectors of the United States economy.

Nationwide, the industry is responsible for 216,170 jobs, both directly and inderectly, creating an economic impact of $37.5 billion. The full study results, along with each individual state and congressional district's economic impact is available on the website by clicking here .

RVDA: Tracking Changing Clientele

Thu Nov 10, 2016

147862199156843.gifKeeping track of a changing customer profile is one of the daily tasks facing thousands of employees in the RV industry. Are customer demographics changing, and if so, how?

The RVDA’s online newsletter, RV Executive Today, asked attendees at the on-going RV dealers convention in Las Vegas if customer profiles are changing. This is what they found.

Michelle Andro, Hemlock Hill RV Sales, Milldale, Conn.:

"We haven't really seen a big change in our demographics. People aged 35 to 54 is the sweet spot for us. We are seeing some families with young children who want to get them outside and away from all the electronics."

Joe Bullyan Jr., Bullyan RV, Duluth, Minn.:

"We're seeing more families, 35- to 45-year-olds with children, who want to spend time outdoors with their kids. They're buying trailers with bunk beds. That demographic represents about 30 percent of our customers. The other 70 percent are retirees and Boomers who want to do more traveling."

Jeff Runyon, Summit RV Sales Inc., Ashland, Ky.:

"I'm seeing a younger crowd. It used to be the older generation. Now it's people in their thirties. Most of them have kids. They make up more than half of my customers. They're buying travel trailers and fifth wheels."

Ken Eckstein, Mount Comfort RV, Greenfield, Ind.:

"Our customers have absolutely gotten younger and are more active. We're seeing more people in their twenties and thirties than we ever have. We have people coming into the dealership saying, 'Tell me how this works, show me what that does.' They're obviously newcomers to RVing. The Millennials are coming on as a demographic, and they're much more interested in the outdoor aspects of RVs—they don't want a condo on wheels. So things like bike and ski racks and pet carriers are big sellers for us. And the Millennials want to be able to drop a quarter in the machine and have an RV drop out—they don't like having to wait weeks for delivery. And they don't ever want to have problems with their RVs."