Thor Industries published the RV industry’s first comprehensive report detailing North American RV consumer travel and purchase intent since the onset of the coronavirus pandemic. Thor conducted the survey to support their dealer partners and help gain a better understanding of consumer sentiment.
The 2020 THOR North American RV Consumer Survey Report includes input from nearly 20,000 randomly selected RV owners and prospective owners across THOR’s North American companies. The survey, which was conducted April 26- May 8, 2020, included questions assessing consumers’ canceled travel plans, travel intent throughout 2020, planned RV usage, key indicators initiating RV travel, purchase intent and openness to purchase virtually.
“Our research supports that consumers understand that the RV lifestyle is a great way to social distance, create unforgettable family experiences, and get away and recharge,” said Thor President and CEO Bob Martin. “We believe the best way to get outside for some enjoyment and adventure in a safe way is in an RV. The data shows that consumers agree.”
The manufacturing leader shared the report with dealer partners across Thor companies on Monday, May 18.
Several key findings from the 2020 THOR North American report include:
- 94% of consumers surveyed plan to vacation in 2020
- 50% of those with vacation plans indicate that a vacation will occur in October – potentially extending the traditional camping season
- 79% of consumers plan to use their RV as much or more than they had in 2019
- 56% of those who intend to vacation in a RV plan to utilize it for weekend trips and 53% are planning at least one week-long trip
- The opening of campgrounds is the top indicator for consumers to start camping
- 50% of consumers with intent to buy in 2020 plan to purchase in May – August
- 58% of those with purchase intent are open to purchasing virtually- offering additional opportunities for dealers to welcome consumers into the RV lifestyle
“The Thor companies are excited to share the findings from our 2020 North American survey as we continue to assist our dealer partners as they welcome consumers into the RV lifestyle in this unique environment,” Martin said.
The 2020 THOR North American RV Consumer Survey Report can be downloaded here. It includes responses from owners of all types of RVs, as well as prospective owners, across Canada and the US.